- Liberty Living
- Gourmet Baked Beans on Toast
Gourmet Baked Beans on Toast for Students under £5
Cheese & Parsley Sourdough with Mixed Bean Tomato Stew
Reinvented by Timothy Hyde-Sykes based on Baked Beans on Toast
Ingredients (Enough for 6 portions)
For the bean stew:
- 1 tin of kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 tin of black beans, rinsed
- 1 tin of white haricot beans, rinsed
- 1 tin of butter beans, rinsed
- 75ml olive oil
- 200g diced pancetta
- 200g onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 x 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 150g soft dark brown sugar
- 200ml cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 12 slices of thin smoked streaky bacon for the ‘bacon crisps’
For the soda bread:
- 340g wholemeal flour
- 340g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 85g butter, softened, plus extra to serve
- 625ml buttermilk
- 250g strong farmhouse Cheddar, crumbled
Total cost = £11.62 | Total cost per person = £1.94
For the bean stew:
- • Drain all of the beans and place to the side in a bowl.
- • In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the pancetta and fry until crisp. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until the onion is soft. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, vinegar and 500ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- • Then add the rinsed mixed beans and cook for a further 45 mins until the sauce is nice and thick.
- • Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C.
For the bacon crisps:
- • You’ll need two baking trays. Line the first with baking paper and lay the bacon on top. Then, add another piece of baking paper and your second baking tray on top to keep it flat.
- • Bake at 200C for around 10 minutes or when they are golden and crispy.
For the cheesy soda bread:
- • Mix all the ingredients together and form into small balls around 75g each. Flour the tops and then score a cross into the top of each bun.
- • Place on a baking tray, dust with flour and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the rolls are golden and they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- • Remove from the oven and keep warm.
To build and serve:
- • Season the beans with salt and pepper and serve with the warm rolls, bacon crisps and garnish with leaves of flat parsley.