- Liberty Living
- Gourmet BBQ Chicken Pizza
Gourmet BBQ Chicken Pizza for Students under £5
Tomato Dough Pizza with Stuffed Chicken Roulade, Crispy Chicken Skin & Homemade BBQ Sauce
Reinvented by Timothy Hyde-Sykes based on BBQ Chicken Pizza
Ingredients (Makes 6 mini pizzas 'with pizza dough spare')
- 560g baker’s flour
- 320ml warm tap water
- 10g dried yeast
- 30g tomato purée
- 5g sugar
- 5g salt
- 25ml oil
Chicken and bacon roulade:
- 2 skin-on large chicken breasts
- 150g thin sliced streaky bacon
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 30g butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tub of baby mozzarella
- 1 bunch of basil
- 18 cherry tomatoes
For the BBQ sauce:
- ½ red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 75g dark brown sugar
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
Total cost = £9.72 | Total cost per person = £1.62
For the crispy chicken skin:
- • Remove the skin from your chicken breasts.
- • Lay the skin flat on a baking tray lined with baking paper and season with salt.
- • Lay another piece of baking paper and your second baking tray on top to flatten.
- • Bake in the oven at 200C for around 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken skin is golden and crispy.
For the roulade:
- • Lay the chicken breast on your chopping board.
- • Fold out the inner fillet and with a sharp knife cut another flap along the opposite side to create a butterfly effect.
- • Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the chopped garlic and sliced mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and then sauté until soft.
- • Blend with a hand blender, chill and then spoon the mixture into the fold of your chicken breast. Fold the flaps back into the centre making it look like a reformed chicken breast again.
- • Roll out a double layer of cling film and lay out the bacon slices so they overlap each other to make a rectangle and lay the chicken breast on top.
- • Carefully roll the cling film over the chicken breast covering it with the bacon, rolling it along the table whilst holding the ends of the cling film until the chicken roulade has formed into a sausage shape.
- • Tie the end of the cling film to keep its shape.
- • Place the roulade into a medium pan of simmering water for 22 minutes or until fully cooked.
- • Take out and fully chill.
For the BBQ sauce:
- • In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil with ½ red onion, 1 chopped clove of garlic, ½ tsp chilli flakes, 2 tsp smoked paprika and the 1 tsp cumin.
- • Cook this on a low heat for a few minutes and then add the cider vinegar and brown sugar.
- • Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients.
- • Simmer for 10 minutes and then blend with a hand blender until smooth as possible. Chill overnight.
For the tomato pizza dough:
- • Place the flour, yeast, sugar and salt on to a clean surface and make a well in the centre.
- • Slowly add the warm water and tomato purée mix whilst mixing with the other hand until the dough becomes sticky.
- • Scrape the excess off the table, flour the top and knead until it forms a smooth dough that springs back when pressed. Add to a bowl and leave to proof and double in size.
To build and serve:
- • Preheat oven to 230C.
- • Take 6 satsuma size pieces of pizza dough from the bowl and roll out with a rolling pin.
- • Push the dough from the inside out to make 6 small discs. Place these on the floured baking sheet.
- • Spread some of the BBQ sauce on top of the discs and then slice the ends off the roulade. Remove the rest of the cling film and then cut into 6 even pieces – about ½ cm thick.
- • Lay these at 12, 4, and 8 o’clock on top of the BBQ sauce with a cherry tomato in between each slice.
- • Then, place the baby mozzarella on top, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- • Once cooked, add more chilled mozzarella on top of each pizza, drizzle BBQ sauce on top and sprinkle with basil leaves and shards of the crispy chicken skin.