How to make American-style pancakes
With Pancake Day around the corner, we’re here with our fool proof guide to make tasty, fluffy pancakes that will impress your friends.
Without further ado, here’s our favourite recipe for American style pancakes. Happy flipping!
How to make American style pancakes
- 135g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 130ml milk
- 2 tbsp butter/olive oil
- Toppings of your choice
1) First, sift 135g of plain flour into a large bowl and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, half a teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of caster sugar.
2) Then, in a separate bowl, beat 1 large egg.
3) Add 130ml of milk (you can use a plant milk alternative if you prefer) and lightly whisk these together.
4) Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and, once it has cooled slightly, add this to the egg and milk, then whisk again. As an alternative to butter, you can use olive oil.
5) Next, combine the flour and milk mixtures and use a fork to beat out any lumps until you have a smooth batter. Let the batter stand for a few minutes, while you heat a knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. When it has melted, add a ladle of the batter to the pan. This amount may seem a lot but it will make a perfect, thick American pancake.
6) When the top of the pancake starts to bubble, turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm thick. Repeat this until all the pancakes are cooked. You can cook two at a time if your pan is big enough. They taste best fresh from the pan but you can keep some warm in the oven on a low setting if you need to.
7) Now for the fun part: the toppings!
- Do you have a sweet-tooth? What about maple syrup and blueberries? Lemon and sugar? Nutella with fresh strawberries? Or ice cream and cinnamon?
- Prefer something savoury? Try combining cheese, sautéed spinach, a poached egg and mushrooms. Last but not least, eat and enjoy with friends. Bon appétit!