How to spring clean your wardrobe
It’s warming up (a bit) and it’s finally getting sunnier. Here are some tips from fashion guru and Menswear expert, GQ freelancer Emily Wadsworth, 22, tells us how to get ready for Spring/Summer 2015.
1) The most important thing to always have in your wardrobe is a good set of basics. Think a black and a white t-shirt, vest tops and well-fitting jeans that will be the foundation of any outfit. You can then use these staples to dress them up or down with accessories, which will take you from day to night. It’s always good to have a simple outfit that you can dress up or down with simple accessories so you don’t have to take multiple outfits to university or work, but just have a couple of items to add and you’ll be ready for every event.
2) A good classic pair of sunglasses that suit your face shape is essential. Traditional styles including the wayfarer, aviator and the cat-eye are a good place to start. Wayfarers are good for smaller faces, and cat-eye style work well on people with larger foreheads. Make sure that they have a high UV protection – there’s no point investing in stylish sunglasses if they don’t protect your eyes.
3) Accessories are crucial. Fedoras are practical when it’s sunny and never go out of style. It’s time to swap your knitted scarves for more lightweight materials like cotton and silk, as they are a stylish trans-seasonal wardrobe update.
4) To stay in budget and on track for summer, try buying just one key piece a week which will build up so you will have a fresh and summer-ready wardrobe for when the sun does shine.
5) Throw away old shoes. Shoes are always, sub-consciously or not, a focal point of any outfit. This spring invest in a good, sturdy pair of brogues and lightweight boots to take your wardrobe through to summer.
6) This year it’s all about pastel colours and white for a more understated chic look. Go for a subtle hint of colour if you struggle to wear bright colours or if you aren’t feeling too adventurous. Monochrome outfits will always be stylish but adding a hint of colour will help transform your look and boost your confidence.
7) For summer, it’s all about linen and cotton because they are breathable and versatile so keep an eye out for those important pieces. For men, look for smart trousers and shirts in those materials so you can still look sleek without overheating, and these can also be worn to more relaxed events and after work drinks. For women, loose fitting dresses and flowing materials offer comfort for those sweaty London summer days and evenings.
8) Remember that even though spring and summer are just around the corner, have a good range of lightweight but warm jackets for those unpredictable cold spells, it is England after all! A denim jacket is a failsafe option because it is warm, breathable and never goes out of fashion. Denim is making a big resurgence this year and works well with every outfit, even if it’s double denim!
So there you have it, 8 simple tips to keep you stylish and ready for spring and summer!
Liberty Living provides student accommodation in 17 university cities across the UK, including student accommodation in Liverpool, student accommodation in London, student accommodation in Preston plus many more.
Posted on 26th February 2015 by Elinore Court.
Elinore Court lives at Liberty House in London, she is studying a masters degree in Magazine Journalism at City University.