Looking for an outfit for your end of year ball? Look no further!
It’s a traditional concept at University that degree subjects and even the whole university celebrate the end of year ball. For most, this consists of a nice meal, cheesy music, plenty of alcohol and too many photos to count.
From Oxford to Glasgow, these ball tickets can cost you anywhere from £20 to an excess of £200, not including the drinking money. Then consider the dress or suit, hair and make-up all at the end of the academic year, suddenly you’re looking at bursting your bank overdraft!
Going to Leeds University myself, we have a summer ball that is basically a massive fair ground and laser quest on campus, not to mention the large cocktail tent. Even though the tickets are relatively cheap, I don’t normally have enough money to go all out on the dress each year. So I have concluded a range of dresses that will suit all, won’t break the bank, and can also be sneaked out to wear again the following ball season!
1. New Look Bandeau Wrap Maxi Dress, available on ASOS at £32.99
When all else fails go back to black. The maxi length of this New Look bandeau dress will cover and keep you cool in the summer evenings, as well as make you look chic and sophisticated. Plus with an extra 10% student discount, you’ve got a classy black dress for under £30.
2. Louche Luxe Chance Bird Dress, available at Joy at £79
Admittedly this is the most expensive dress at £80, but you do get a 15% student discount off to ease the pain. Hear me out though, as this dress is definitely worth every penny. With the lined bodice and satin-like finish, this pure quality. It is available in this Ted Baker-esque bird print and a rose style too, but more importantly is the elegant off-the-shoulder top. Ever since Audrey Hepburn made it popular, this off the shoulder exudes a subtle demure and elegance that only comes out of Hollywood.
3. Annora Champagne Satin Strappy Skater Dress, available at prettylittlething.com £30
The skater dress turned up one year and never went away. Just like the bodycon, its simplistic style meant that it was going to become a staple. So in a satin finish, daring plunge and available in three colours, this had to make the top 5. Not to mention, it was recently seen on Selena Gomez, so you literally have a look right off the red carpet.
4. Double Layer Bandeau Red Jumpsuit, available at Missguided at £35
We’re seeing it more on the red carpet, with female actresses and singers ditching the dress and going for a more comfortable and practical jumpsuit, so why shouldn’t we? So if like me, you will be straddling a horse on the merry-go-round and want to keep some dignity, a simple and sophisticated jumpsuit will do the trick. Plus this shade of red radiates sexiness.
5. Stripe Midi Skirt by Rare, available at Topshop at £45
Ditch the dress and go get the skirt. This pastel pink is perfect for the summer and you can dress it up and down for a dinner or a ball. There are similar navy styles of this skirt available by Blue Vanilla at New Look, but it’s worth getting one that is lined and structured like this one. Quite simply pop the skirt on and a simple black jersey crop top (£6 from Primark!) and you’re good to go!
6. Top Tip: Shoes are always a nightmare for occasions like this. Being called a ball suggests you need to wear some high uncomfortable stilettos, however high street stores like Primark and New Look have brought out their own ‘comfort range’. These shoes often come in wide and normal fit, and are lined with leather and extra padding so you can dance throughout the night without a blister in sight! Try these New Look all-round pointed shoes available in white and black to go with any outfit at £24.99
Now you have no excuse to not get involoved in your summer/end of year ball with these fantastic, cheap outfit options!
Jasmin Vincent lives in Student Accommodation Leeds